Saturday, March 19, 2011

Altering an Ambassador's coat



I certainly do get some fascinating projects to work on. This one has to be one of the most interesting yet frustrating I've had for quite a while. My client is an illusionist who loves using vintage for his stage costumes. He told me about this suit, bought on Ebay from a Perth Western Autralia antiques dealer, and I didn't believe my eyes when he brought it to me. It was sold to him as an Ambassador's Suit but he has no provenance or any other information. The dealer had 3 to sell, and N. fell in love with the embroidery on this one. It's gold bullion embroidery, but unfortunately quite tarnished with age. I think it's still magnificent though! The photograph above is quite true to colour, Ive enhanced the ones below so that the beautiful detail can be better appreciated. Judging by the workmanship and style I'd say it could be turn of the 20th century and the buttons on the false "vest" front panel which he removed match those on the back waist and are crested gold with a London button company name on the back. I looked up the crest online, and they appear to be British Royal crest. So, who did the previous owner represent, the British Royal family or a British colony at the time, and how did the 3 suits wind up in Perth Australia? A lot of British migrants stayed on in Perth, the first port of call for emmigration ships from England. What a mystery, it's driving me mad !!

Anyway, N. needs a new false vest front in a larger size, so I've made a toile in calico and he's sourced some black wool. We'll make a press stud fastening for quick change but mount the original buttons through worked buttonholes in the centre front to simulate an opening vest. I also have to shorten the sleeves under the ornate cuffs and pad out the chest area. I'm trying to leave all original fittings/fastenings intact and make the changes reversible so that when he retires the costume it can be put into a collection somewhere. Some more photos of the stunning embroidery below. Remember I've altered the contrast slightly so that the beauty of the stitching can be seen better. I can only imagine how many hours it took to do this work, which is now done in England by British firm Hand and Lock.


Detail front left side




Detail back neck



Detail cuff

Update:
While browsing the Lafayette Studio photos from the V & A Museum site, I stumbled on a photo of Sir Herbert Eustace Maxwell taken in 1901 attending the Royal Court, wearing his Full Dress, Civil Uniform 1st Class and guess what? This looks remarkably like N's coat. Not THE coat as Sir H's is larger with a slightly extended embroidery design, but same design and style. This gent was an MP, a Lord of the Treasury, Privy Counselor and author on Scottish history. I still wonder how it got to Australia though, don't you??

3 comments:

  1. What a magnificent coat, the embroidery is superb. That is going to be a fascinating project to complete. It is so frustrating not knowing it's provenance, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi I've become very interested in this type of embroidery what is it called exactly and how can one do it, i've tried looking for tutorials and through sites online but have found nothing to explain what makes this type of embroidery could you please email disruptiv.apache@gmail.com please thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ice Empire, this is professional metal thread embroidery, sometimes called goldwork. You can learn some yourself from an Embroiderers' Guild group if they have workshops or the basics from a book,I recommend Mary Brown's Design for Goldwork Embroidery book or Alison Cole's All That Glitters and the Midas Touch, all Australian and fairly easy to get in bookshops or online. May also be available from Embroiderers' Guild Qld, certainly are from NSW Embroiderers' Guild bookshop. Enjoy!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and promise to answer your questions in a timely fashion.